☆ bucket list

I've had this post in my drafts for a long time now, because I started this list once I'd finished University for the summer. The idea that I only have one more year left of my degree is both thrilling and fear-inducing. On the one hand, I'm so close to becoming a working adult, earning my money and moving onto my next stage in life (buying a house, getting married, having kids!) and on the other hand...I'm so close to becoming a working adult, having to deal with mortgages, taxes, responsibilities (e.g. taking responsibility of a patient and their medicines? The thought makes me want to dig a hole underground.)

But, regardless of the scary things that will be coming my way in the next 10 years or so, I realised that I am still young and time is still on my side. I don't want to waste that time. I want to use it as wisely as I can. So, I thought to myself: what do I want to have achieved by the time I'm 30? 40? 50? What are the things I want to do before I die?

And so, I present to you, my bucket list. Listed here are just a few things I want to do before I die. I didn't include major life events (e.g. get married, buy a house, have kids), so I wouldn't say everything is on here, but here are just a few specific things that I want to get done, preferably sooner rather than later.
  • Release floating lanterns 
    I love the idea of seeing something so free and lifted. I want to write my wishes on them and just see them go up, up, up into the sky. I want my dreams to float up into the never-ending night sky. It's peaceful and I would just love to do this one day.
  • Go to a concert ACHIEVED - 11th February 2014 - Taylor Swift Concert
    At the age of 21, a part of me cannot believe I've only been to one concert. Which wasn't even a concert in itself: I mean, artists performed, but for about 30 minutes of a 3 hour showcase. I'd love to see an artist who performs a lot of acoustic songs as well. At the moment, I'm certain that I must see Taylor Swift live, and I must also see Girls Generation and SHINee.
  • Go to Disneyland with my boyfriend
    Dudes. It's THE happiest place on earth. I have to go there and take a picture at the Disneyland Castle and pretend I am an actual real life princess, okay? You know, tiara and everything. I would obviously need my prince with me too :) Plus, while I'm there, I would also like to....
  • Wear couple Mickey Mouse + Minnie Mouse ears
    Admit that as cheesy as this is, it's also extremely cute.
  • Watch "Dirty Dancing: The Musical"
    Hands down, this film is up there on my "list of favourite movies ever" (this list is rather long already, but not the point) and I have always dreamed of seeing the musical production. I mean, I love the storyline, I love the music, I love the dancing: honestly, the last dance makes me a little teary-eyed every time I re-watch this movie.
  • Visit New York
    This, in itself, is very broad and general, I can admit that, but there's so much to do in New York. I would love to visit the public library and drink a Starbucks in one of their cafes, sitting by the window and just people watching. I want to go to Central Park and take a million and one photos, I want to visit Times Square, see the Statue of Liberty, and I just want to experience the business of this concrete jungle.

  • Cook a three-course meal from scratch
    When I first started University, I was honestly oblivious as to how to cook anything that wasn't oven food/microwave food. Shameful, I know, but since moving away from home and having just finished 3 out of 4 years at Uni, I'm happy to report that my culinary skills have improved exponentially. I think one day, I would love to host a dinner party where I cook a starter, main and a dessert all from scratch that is also edible and delicious. Bonus points if I can do this before I finish for University as well!

  • Ride the London Eye at night
    I envisage that seeing London at night time from the top of the London eye would be magnificent: living in England, I want to do all of these touristy things at least once. It's sad that not enough people who live in England actually participate in making the most of what this country can offer, in my opinion. But I digress: basically, I want to ride the London eye at night time. This would be extra special if this was during winter time and with my boyfriend as well, heh.


  • Visit Japan
    I've actually been to Japan once before, but this was when I was about 11 years old and we went as part of a tour group. Don't get me wrong, it was fantastic, but I can also remember a lot of early mornings/late nights and being very rushed during that time. Plus, at 11 years old, I don't think I fully appreciated the culture: I was far too excited for Tokyo Disneyland haha. I would love to go back one day for a few weeks and just take my time revisiting everything properly. Ideally, this would be around the Spring time because as well as seeing all the tourist attractions and eating authentic Japanese food, one other thing I really want to do while in Japan is....
  • Take a photo under the cherry blossoms
    Cherry blossoms are my most favourite things ever. If I could, I'd have an outdoors wedding, underneath a big cherry blossom tree in the spring time, but alas, this is just a small dream of mine, amongst many others that I have for my future wedding. The next best thing then, in my eyes, would be to get a gorgeous romantic photo underneath some authentic trees in Japan instead. I'd get them printed onto a canvas and have it hanging in my living room in my future house, hehe, but again, just little dreams of mine. 
Credits: http://fanitra.wordpress.com/2011/12/23/a-photo-essay-part-2/
  • Get a tattoo
    I can honestly say that I've been playing with this idea since I was 14 years old. I'm 21 years old now and the idea of a tattoo still hasn't lost its novelty to me. I'd only like a very small one and I want it on the back of my neck, so that I could hide it with my hair down. I used to want the quote, "yours now, forever", but recently, I've loved the idea of an infinity tattoo, which would be much smaller and discreet. Watch this space, is all I can say, hehe.
  • Own a Mulberry bag
    Just give me a second to be very materialistic here. I just think they're so pretty, okay? I'd get one in a brown colour (not a surprise: pretty much ALL my bags are brown, apart from a white Chanel one that I have) and I'd get either the Bayswater shoulder bag or the Alexa satchel. I was contemplating getting a purse first: you know, start small, get bigger, but I think I'd much rather have my first Mulberry purchase be a bag. So, so pretty....*sighs and continues to save up work money*

  • Own a matching set of lingerie from Victoria's Secret
    If you knew me in real life, you would realise that I obsessively love to buy certain items of clothing that normal people probably don't really care for: for example, I love buying winter coats, swimsuits and pyjamas. One other piece of clothing that I am constantly buying is also underwear. My lingerie collection is rather large and only going to get bigger, if I'm honest. With Victoria's Secret just beginning to branch out of America and slowly into the UK, I still have yet to visit the store on Bond Street for a browse around, but I would love to purchase a matching set of lingerie to add to my collection: for those days when I want to feel extra-pretty.

  • Go to the Ghibli Museum in Japan
    When I was younger, my parents sat me down and watched "My Neighbour Totoro" with me. Since then, I've been obsessed with this funny creature called Totoro and when I'm having a very bad day, "My Neighbour Totoro" is one of those films I can put on to cheer myself up with and it will always work to make me smile. Since then, I've watched a lot more Ghibli films and enjoyed them just as much, so when I heard there was a museum dedicated to Ghibli, I knew I had to come and visit. Plus, I totally want to drink a coffee that has art like this on it:
  • Watch the sunset from the top of the Eiffel Tower
    I actually climbed the Eiffel Tower last September (yes; CLIMBED) and it was so lovely to be able to see so much of Paris from the top. It was super windy the day we went up, and there was also a marriage proposal going on at the time: how lovely! I imagine that seeing the sunsetting over all of Paris would be beautiful, side by side with my boyfriend as well, for an added touch of romance.

  • Complete a half-marathon
    I especially want to do this before I graduate University. Time to start training, I think.

  • Leave a love padlock somewhere
    I first heard about people doing this on the North Seoul Tower in Korea, but to be honest, I just would like to leave one somewhere in this world, be it somewhere like Denmark, Taiwan or China.

  • Visit the Hello Kitty cafe
    As a huge Sanrio fanatic (I've recently become obsessed with this "Hello Kitty Carnival" game app on my phone: some would say childish, I would say adorable), I've decided that I obviously have to come and visit this at some point in my life, while it is still acceptable for me to proclaim my love for all things Hello Kitty, My Melody and Little Twin Stars. Now to just find someone willing to come along with me....


  • See the northern lights
    Seriously, I could scroll through the "northern lights" tag on Tumblr all day. It just looks so beautiful in photos, how much more beautiful would it be in person? The world is such a beautiful place.

  • Go on an African safari
    One of my best friends from University lives in Kenya and he's always telling me to go and visit him in Kenya and he'll take me on one of these safaris. Now, as someone who is excited at the prospect of going to the zoo, I can't imagine just how excited I'd be seeing animals on the safari. Elephants and lions and giraffes, in the sun with some of my bestest friends: maybe I can put this as number one on my list of "things I want to do after I graduate from University"...

  • Travel somewhere first class
    This is yet again one of my very materialistic wishes on this bucket list, but honestly, I think it would be so awesome to fly first class on an aeroplane just once. I mean, going first class on a train makes me so happy, I can't imagine what the upgrade must be like from economy to first class! Bonus if it's a long haul flight and I get to ride first class both ways.
    ....I am very pleased with the smallest things in life.

  • Give blood 
    People who know me will know that I am a very tiny girl in terms of my weight. I've never been able to weigh enough to give blood, but I do believe in the cause greatly. For someone healthy, I think giving blood is a little act that can have the most amazing impact for someone who is very unwell. As soon as I tick that box of weighing enough, I'm going to go to the next blood drive and donate blood. 
And that's it: for now. I plan on coming back to this post every time I complete something off this list (if ever I do any of these in the next year or so anyway) and I'm pretty sure I'll be adding things to it more than crossing things off, but that's the fun of a bucket list: you can put some ridiculous things on this list that you think you would never ever do in your life, but life can surprise you at times? After all, it's surprised me a lot this year - in a very good way. 

What's on your bucket list? Suggestions are always welcome and I'd love to read what other people have on their bucket lists!

0 comments:

Post a Comment